Sunday, July 13, 2008

AWESOME!






This is Jim and I LOL Only we don't feel that rested! Traveling is hard work and takes a lot out of you! But this place is worth it!

Yesterday we did a 8 1/2 hour trip on a boat into the Kenai Fjords National Park! The boat is kind of like the catamaran you ride to Mackinaw Island. At first it was smooth and the farther we got out into the Gulf it got really wavy. It felt like a ride at Cedar Point. The crew kept coming around asking if you were all right and carrying puke bags. I was fine but I think Jim got a little oozy from being too warm until we went outside and got some air. Then after getting back into calmer waters things calmed down a lot. This was the best tour for me so far! The scenery is breathtaking and I just want to sit and look at it forever! They say the weather doesn't get too cold in the winter due to being in the Gulf!
I got some really great video of whales diving and glaciers calving that you are all going to be bored with eventually! We saw sea lions, and otters and puffins and all kinds of Alaskan birds. They served us a light lunch on board the ship and then towards the end of our tour we stopped at the most serene and beautiful island called Fox Island! There we enjoyed an all u can eat salmon bake with all the trimmings! I of course had chicken! They have lodging on this island too that I will definately be checking into for the next trip to Alaska! Here are a couple of pictures from there! Dianna I thought of you a lot when we saw kayakers out in the peaceful waters just soaking it all in! You seriously need to think about doing this!!
Today we board our ship around 1pm and set sail at 8pm! I am looking forward to it! We will be relaxing and eating and gambling until Wednesday before we make our first port of call! At least I will be able to get some walking in! They have a GREAT walking deck on board and a fitness room! I can't wait to start enjoying the scenery from our balcony!! miss u all :P

4 comments:

Kristin, Rod, and Victoria said...

Wow. Alaska's not really a place I ever considered visiting (you know me, I like it warm!), but the photos you're posting and the things you're seeing are changing my mind about it all.

We miss you guys, tho Victoria LOVES going for rides in Grandma's car! Don't worry, we're keeping her feet off the seats!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how beautiful the pictures are that you have chosen to post - The real thing must be absolutely breathtaking!!! To think these are every day occurances is beyond comprehension for some of us state side, want to be there, jealous flatlanders!!
Keep up the great photo and journalism work. Pictures are worth a thousand words - at least!!!

Love ya,
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Debby Say's... The pictures really are breathtaking, can't wait til you get home to see some video! I have been very bad, no walking since you left. Although I did 200 stairs and boy did I feel that. But I don't feel so old because Alex felt it too. lol

Anonymous said...

I may never get you back to a Board meeting with all this you have to enjoy. We will miss you tonight.