Wednesday, June 11, 2008

FLYING * # & ^ Where Do I Begin!!

WE ARE HOME SAFE! Enough said?? NO! Not for all of you that know I have to tell my story! Our first flight home was scheduled to leave Austin, Texas at 12:55pm and brother John had to drop us off a bit early due to an appointment they had with for their daughter. So at 10:00am we checked in an found our gate and got a comfy spot to sit and watch the planes and people. After the experience we had on the trip out I would get up every so often and check the monitor to make sure our flight was on schedule. HERE WE GO AGAIN!! It all started again! The weather was just not cooperating for our trip. Of course I would rather be on the ground than flying in a terrible storm. So the story began again with delays due to a bad storm in Houston where we were headed. By the time they finally thought we might be able to head out I checked with the desk to see how far the gate would be and how much time we would have to make it there. She said "OH NO" you have to change terminals and you will never make it in time!! You guys know what happened to me don't you?? The eyes just began to well up and she took one look at me and said "Don't you worry I will get you there in time or change your flight for you"! Her name was Keri and she took such good care of us. She changed our flight to a straight flight from Austin to Detroit and gave us plenty of time to get to our final flight from Detroit to Saginaw. We did have to walk a little ways to get to the gate, but James has become quite the moving sidewalk walker. When we checked in at the gate I ask David to please put us in seats together or I would probably squeeze somebody Else's arm off during takeoff! He really didn't think he was going to be able to do that due to the flight being so full from the delays. He was a very wise young man and saw my frustration and said let me just put you right here in FIRST CLASS!! What a guy! Let me tell you I am such a spoiled flyer now. Although this plane was much smaller than the others we flew on, it was the smoothest ride of them all. Of course the free drinks and dinner and pampering didn't hurt either. I truly enjoyed the view out the window this time and the time went by so fast. Our final flight from Detroit to Saginaw went on schedule after the layover time we already had planned for. Believe it or not our bag arrived in Saginaw even after being sent on our original flight!! Jim lost that bet!! LOL

Rod was just pulling into the airport with my baby (Caddy) when we walked out the doors! The cell phone texting is great for keeping in touch with people! I know he took good care of my baby because he wishes it was his!! He even parked it in his garage for me! THANKS ROD!

The rest of the trip was the drive home from Saginaw and we cruised right along with no problems! Hmmmmm FLYING VS DRIVING????? We arrived home a little after 1am and our bed felt great! We slept until about 7am this morning and most of you know that is sleeping in for us. Today is working at home and trying to get through the jet lag and back to a "normal" up north Michigan life! Traveling is pretty fast paced for us and we enjoy our slow pace at home.

Our next trip is approaching fast and we will be traveling to Traverse City soon to meet with our travel agent and pick up all of our documents. We leave again on July 4th! Let's hope all goes smooth with that travel! I think I will try and use our $100 vouchers to get bumped up to first class now that I am spoiled! LOL Keep checking for updates as I will be posting as our trip gets closer. Thanks to you all for the comments too! It's nice to hear from your friends while you are away!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny --- WHAT A GOOD REPORT ! ! ! We enjoyed every bit of it ..especially the pictures! (they say a picture is worth a thousand words, you know)

And you're right ! its HOT here! We are still hoping to be home by the end of the month...Carlee's counts are coming along pretty good.
See you soon. Pauline & Carlee

Anonymous said...

Hey Pen:
I finally had a few minutes and checked in on your mini adventure and what an adventure it sounds like it was. The most important thing is that you and your honey arrived both there and back and can laugh about everything now.
Looks and sounds like you had a blast!!
Bet you had a culture shock weather wise when you got back home!!!

Glad things are moving along towards Alaska - can't wait to see some great pics.

Love ya,
Sandi

Anonymous said...

I finally checked back in on your blog and found out I can leave comments! Thanks for sharing that trip to Texas, seems that's the story so often now with travellers, as you know from Rod and Kristin. Looking forward to future Jim and Penny adventures. Take care. Karen